I have now been using Dr. Bronner’s for about 3 or 4 months. I’m a convert. This soap works REALLY well for my hair, and works fine for my skin.
The hair thing is kind of unbelievable. As I said, I have baby fine hair that gets weighed down by EVERYTHING I put in it. And I live in a climate so humid the air conditioners can’t handle it. Oh, and I have also come to realize, over the past few months as I have been changing my lifestyle, that I sweat from my head. As in, I can spend a hard 30 minutes on the treadmill pushing myself, and I will have sweat pouring off my head in front and back – but my underarms? Dry as a bone. I know, weird, but apparently, genetic since my mother is the same way.
And all summer long (except when actually working out), my hair was fluffy. I mean, nice looking slightly volumized, fluffy. Not static-y, because I used conditioner, but that weightlessness promised by so many products that FAIL for me.
My daughter, on the other hand, who has hair so massively thick we have to have the stylist thin it out extensively, doesn’t like it as much. So it’s not for everyone. But if you have very thin hair that just lays there, you might give it a try.
I have also now tried the bar form, as well as the liquid form. It works just as well, even for my hair. I will say, though, that I believe the liquid has a stronger odor. I have used both the peppermint liquid and the peppermint bar. The liquid made me go, “Well that’s PEPPERMINT” (but in a good way). The bar was more like, “hmmmm, if I stick it up to my nose , I can detect the aroma of peppermint”. For both products, the smell washes away with the soap, which is nice if you don’t want it competing with your perfume or body spray.
I have tried the following:
- Peppermint (L) – very strong peppermint smell, like a peppermint candy; be careful of fumes on face
- Peppermint (B) – much weaker smell, I didn’t worry about the fumes, but I would still be careful of getting this in your eyes
- Tea Tree (L) – strong herbal smell, not my favorite, but it makes you think “clean” – like the smell of bleach does
- Lavender (L) – strong herbal smell, not sweet at all
- Almond (B) – ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!! I am in love with this smell, and can’t wait to try it in liquid form. This is sweeter than the lavender but not really “sweet”.
I like the fact that the smells are more like the essential oils than like a candy version. It makes me think the Rose scent would be really lovely if you like walking through a garden. I wonder if showering with a combination of the Peppermint and Eucalyptus scents would give me the same effect as those Vick’s Shower Soothers from years ago – I loved those when I was stopped up.