We had a wonderful adventure exploring Carlsbad Caverns. We decided we would take a ranger guided tour, to the King’s Palace, then explore the Big Room on our own along the self guided tour (after lunch).
Would I recommend taking your Troop here? It depends on the Troop. here are some things to consider:
- The entrance to the caverns is on the top of a mountain in the Guadalupe Mountains. So my acrophobia was triggered on the road up and walking in the parking lot – you might have girls who are similarly nervous.
- It’s a cave. If you have girls who don’t deal well with dark, or confined areas, this might not be a good trip for them. Although, I will say that the Big Room actually did not have many places where that might be an issue. It’s called the Big Room for a reason. The King’s Palace tour, though, might trigger fear in these types of girls. There were several tight squeezes and once the Ranger turned out all of the lights to let us be in the natural cave.
- It’s BIG. Each tour was about 1.5 miles. Some of it steep(ish).
- Make sure it’s something your girls are interested in. This goes without saying, right?
We also watched the bat flight. This is when the HUGE colony of Brazilian Free Tailed bats emerges from their roosts in the caverns at dusk. It is an amazing sight to watch thousands upon thousands of bats fly over your heads. No pictures, though. They are not allowed. I highly recommend this if you come for a visit, with the following caveats:
- It takes a long time for thousands and thousands and thousands of bats to emerge from the cave. We were watching for 45 minutes.
- You have to be silent and still as you can be so as not to startle the bats.
Have YOU been to Carlsbad Caverns? Have you taken your Troop? What was your favorite part?